TL;DR – In a hurry and just want to know what are the best mountain bike lights? I recommend the BLITZU Gator 390 USB Rechargeable LED Bike Light Set, Bicycle Headlight Front & Free Rear Back Tail Light. Waterproof, Easy to Install for Kids Men Women Road Cycling Safety Commuter Flashlight Black as your best option. The five best mtb lights available are (in my opinion):
- BLITZU Gator 390 USB Rechargeable LED Bike Light Set, Bicycle Headlight Front & Free Rear Back Tail Light. Waterproof, Easy to Install for Kids Men Women Road Cycling Safety Commuter Flashlight Black (Our top pick)
- Cycle Torch Shark 500 USB Rechargeable Bike Light – Headlight & Tail Light Set- Fits All Bicycles, Hybrid, Road, MTB, with Quick Release (Editor’s pick)
- CECO-USA: 1,000 Lumen USB Rechargeable Bike Light – Tough & Durable IP67 Waterproof & FL-1 Impact Resistant– Super Bright Model F1000 Bicycle Headlight – For Commuters, Road Cyclists & Mountain Bikers
- Bright Eyes Newly Upgraded and Fully Waterproof 1200 Lumen Rechargeable Mountain, Road Bike Headlight, 6400mAh Battery (Now 5+ Hours on Bright Beam). Free Diffuser Lens/TAILLIGHT
- Ascher USB Rechargeable Bike Light Set,Super Bright Front Headlight and Rear LED Bicycle Light,650mah Lithium Battery,4 Light Mode Options(2 USB cables and 4 Strap Included) (Best budget option)
If mountain biking is one of your passions, you might have found yourself tempted to try riding at night. While it can be dangerous and it is much harder to see your obstacles, the adrenaline rush is sure to make you fall in love with it. Fortunately, quality MTB lights will keep you safe and ensure that you don’t need to fall to unseen obstacles!
Not only is night riding fun, but more and more competitions are being held for mountain bikers that encourage them to ride at night. It is dangerous as we have mentioned, but why only limit yourself to sunlight when it comes to riding when an affordable set of lights can take your experience to a completely new level.
In this article, we explore some of the top rated mountain bike lights for night riding and find out which of them are actually reliable. Yes, reliability is important and you don’t want to find yourself stranded with a simple flashlight. We have also included some of the key features that could potentially make or break the quality of a mountain bike light.
Round-Up Of The Best Mountain Bike Lights
Before delving into the intricate features like luminosity and the other technical aspects, we are looking at the top 5 options for night riding. You might find some of them compatible with your bike and others not, but you will definitely find something that is worth buying.
Here is our selection of mountain bike lights:
BLITZU Gator 390 USB Rechargeable LED Bike Light Set – Top Pick
The BLITZU Gator 390 USB Rechargeable LED Bike Light Set is the first option that we have on this list and it has been included for the multiple functions and the 390-lumen output that you will have. Since it is this bright, the light set is easy to use for obstacles and with an included tail light, you can be sure that your competitors also see you.
The light includes a beam mode that allows you to point it in one direction and it will light up for around 300-feet in front of you. Since it is really easy to install and you won’t need any tools, the light can be placed anywhere on the bike and even moved as you are riding. According to the manufacturer, the runtime is around 2-hours.
While the lights have an IPX5 rating when it comes to being waterproof, the outer casing is a little flimsy and constructed from simple plastic. It is charged by a standard USB connection and can also be charged when you are on the move with your power bank. The smart charging technology will speed up the charging process compared to many others.
As for the price, it is an affordable option that you can leave mounted on your bike at all times. It might not be ideal for withstanding potential falls, but once you have the light mounted, you should be limiting the number of times you actually hit the ground.
For the price, we would definitely recommend it for all these features as one of the better MTB lights.
- Smart Charge Technology
- Versatile installation
- Really affordable
- IPX5 waterproof rating
- The outer casing lacks durability
- ✔ USB RECHARGEABLE & EXTREME LONG RUN TIME - Stop Wasting Your Money on batteries! Never Buy Batteries Again! Both the headlight and taillight are USB rechargeable. All you need is a USB cord (included!) and a power source to recharge (Computer, laptop or a cellphone charger) The Gator 390 USB Bicycle Light features Smart Charging Technology and has Runtime of 2+ hours on the highest setting, making it the BEST bike light in the market! GET YOURS TODAY!
- ✔ INCREDIBLY BRIGHT TO KEEP YOU SAFE - FREE TAIL LIGHT INCLUDED FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY! BE SEEN and commute in CONFIDENCE! Instantly improve your visibility & safety. You will be shocked and amazed at how bright it is! The Gator 390 is powered by the latest CREE LED that provides an Ultra Bright 390-lumen output and up to 300 feet beam length. BUY IT NOW!
- ✔ VERSATILE AND EASY TO INSTALL - Leave your screwdrivers in the toolbox, Gator 390 bicycle light installs, and detaches in under 2 seconds with NO tools required. Use it as a flashlight and keep it inside your emergency kit. Can be mounted almost anywhere; Fits on your stroller, mower, snow blower, skateboard, wheelchair, motorcycle, trike, BBQ grill, scooter, ebike, boat, kayak, and more! Click the ADD TO CART button now!
- ✔ DURABLE, LIGHT WEIGHT & WATER RESISTANT - When reliability matters and every gram is critical, Gator 390 is your priority choice with only 56 Grams and IPX4 Rated, meaning you’re 100% covered in all types of severe weather! DON'T WAIT, GET IT NOW!
- ✔ORDER NOW WITH NO RISK! 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE – Keep one set for yourself and share one with a friend or family member. Every light purchase comes with a ONE-YEAR HASSLE-FREE WARRANTY.
Cycle Torch Shark 500 USB Rechargeable Bike Light – Editor’s Choice
Click on image to go to Amazon
The Cycle Torch Shark 500 USB Rechargeable Bike Light can easily compete for being the number one option on this list. It features an output of 500-lumens and the flat beam shape lights up a large area that allows you to see on the sides as well. It also attaches in a matter of seconds and you won’t need any specialized tools.
As for the battery, it can be charged with any USB port. It features 3 different modes, with the longest battery life being an estimated 15-hours. Additional tail light has been included with an output of 10-lumens, but should indicate your presence when it is hit by another light. It is worth noting that the waterproof rating is quite high at IP65.
Since it fits virtually every bike and it does not take too long to charge, this is one of the top MTB bike lights options. Using it, we could not find much wrong with the light. It also features a stylish design that is really durable and can take a few bumps. However, it will offer you a large field of view to ensure this does not happen.
Unfortunately, all these features do come at a price and this is one of the more expensive options we have found in terms of bike lights. The versatility does make up for it and the light does not only need to be used on your bike. It is commonly used for many outdoor ventures and we definitely recommend it for night riding competitions.
- Stylish design
- Easy to install
- 500-lumen power output
- Flat beam design
- IP65 waterproof rating
- A little expensive
- SUPER-BRIGHT BIKE LIGHT- Be seen and commute in confidence! Your new bike light is powered by a high output CREE LED with 500 Lumens to light up the entire Road. Also comes with a BONUS USB LED tail Light, to keep you safe all around.
- USB RECHARGEABLE bike lights with amazing long run time. Stop wasting your money, save big time with the USB feature! The Shark 500 USB Bicycle Light has a runtime of up to 2+ hours on high & 30 hours on Flash making it a top of the line light.
- ATTACHES IN SECONDS - Guaranteed to fit all bikes, oversized road bikes, commuter city bikes, or any mountain & kids bikes. No tools required, Shark 500 bicycle light installs in under 5 seconds. Doesn't matter what bike you're riding, we've got you covered!
- FLAT BEAM SHAPE & WATER RESISTANT - Comes with a flat beam shape, specially designed for cyclists riding in urban environments. Drivers of oncoming traffic or other pedestrians will clearly SEE YOU and at the same time thank you for not blinding them. Shark 500 bike light is IPX5 Rated, meaning 100% covered if you get caught in the rain.
- YOUR SATISFACTION GUARANTEED ORDER NOW WITH 100% MONEY BACK -, when safety is on the line don't play games. We’ve been keeping cyclists safe on the roads since 2014, thousands of reviews and happy customers. If you are not completely satisfied with our bike led light within the first year, we will replace it with a new one or refund your money, no questions asked, Our Customers Matter!
CECO-USA USB Rechargeable Bike Light
Click on image to go to Amazon
If you are riding in the darkest corners of the earth, you definitely need something with an exceptional ability to light your way. The CECO-USA USB Rechargeable Bike Light is the answer and features a 1000-lumen power output that has been FL-1 certified with a wide beam to increase your overall field of view as well.
The light comes with 8 different modes of which 5 can be used in the night times. As for the day, the 3 flashing modes are perfect to avoid high-speed collisions on trails. Using the light, we also found that it does actually maintain the brightness and you won’t need to deal with this dropping before you reach a charging point.
One of the downsides is that this light does not mount as easily as many of the others. You might need a few tools to help install the brackets, but this will keep the light in place at all times. The IP67 waterproof rating makes it ideal for all weather conditions and you no longer need to worry about the elements.
The price can be a little expensive, but when you look at some of these features and the stylish design, it is hard to imagine finding something in this price range with these features. Since it can be used for daytimes and nighttimes, we definitely recommend it as the most versatile mountain bike light on the list so far.
- 1000-lumen power output
- Includes 8 different modes
- Reasonably priced
- IP67 waterproof rating
- Stylish design
- Mountain can take some time
- FL-1 CERTIFIED 1000 LUMEN headlight shines a powerful beam far and wide over roads and trails. This pocket sized light is certified IP67 waterproof and FL-1 impact resistant. F1000's regulated circuitry keeps the brightness constant to see well throughout the battery charge, while many lights lose up to 50% of claimed brightness within 5 minutes.
- VERSATILE NIGHT & DAY MODES - 5 Night modes cover any speed and terrain, 3 unique Flashing Day modes make you stand out in high city traffic and open country roads, 1 Walking Flashlight mode for handy use. WHEN BATTERY IS LOW THE LIGHT FLASHES EVERY 25 SECONDS indicating 10 to 20 minutes of runtime left
- LOCK MODE – The light flashes when pressing the power button to indicate Lock Mode is ON and to protect your light from unintentionally powering ON during storage or transit. To unlock, press the power button for 6 seconds then release the power button when the light turns from flashing to solid.
- THE AMERICAN STANDARD – Developed by a team of American industrial designers and engineers in order to give you stylish high quality bicycle lights that are competitively priced and durably built. This small but powerful multi-purpose headlight works as your bike light, flashlight, camping light, and much more. Weighs only 145 grams with mount.
- MOUNT UPGRADE - New bracket tab is now made from tough Zytel material for maximum strength. Heavy duty flexible mount attaches fast and easily on many types of handlebars including aerobars. It swivels left and right to aim the light where needed and uses a quick release function to separate the light from the mount for use as a flashlight or when not in use
Bright Eyes Rechargeable Mountain Headlight
Click on image to go to Amazon
If brightness is what you are after, the Bright Eyes Rechargeable Mountain Headlight will be the perfect option to consider. With a power output of 1200-lumens, this light is state of the art in every aspect. It is small and won’t take up too much space on your handlebars and it can also be installed with no real effort or skills.
The light is completely waterproof and since it has been UL tested, we have seen that it has been passed by 7 different tests. It includes multiple different modes that can be used during the day or at night and the small tail light will make you visible from behind. Since it uses an external battery, you can charge it while you are on the go.
Once again, the brightness does add a little to the price and it is one of the most expensive lights we have on this list. However, the size means you don’t need to use it for your bike only and many people choose it for hiking. We recommend this light for the versatility and the ability to use in all situations.
- Includes multiple modes
- Has persevered through 7 UL tests
- 1200-lumen output
- Includes a decent tail light
- A little expensive
- UL Tested and Passed in 7 different Extreme Tests!! No Other similar Bike Lights can say this! - - SERIOUSLY BRIGHT and now FULLY WATERPROOF 1200 Lumen CREE T6 LED Technology - Our Newly UPGRADED Bike Light Battery Lasts now over 5+ Hours on High, 10+ hours on medium, 26+ hours on Low. The Longest Running Bike light in the industry!
- NOW FITS ALL HANDLEBARS - - SAFETY = MORE FEATURES than any look-alike - Strobe for Daytime Riding Clears Cars From Your Path. Try it on Your Dirt Bike. And a FREE TAILLIGHT Included
- EXTERNAL RECHARGEABLE WATERPROOF BATTERY - Allows Our Cycling Flashlight to Outshine The Competition
- BEST BIKE LIGHT SET for mountain BIKING / CAMPING / HIKING / RUNNING with Included Helmet Accessories
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE ON BICYCLE HEADLIGHT / 1-YEAR WARRANTY ON BATTERY - Only through "Always Quality Plus Products." We're Always Here For Our Customers!
Ascher USB Rechargeable Bike Light Set – Best Budget Mountain Bike Light
Click on image to go to Amazon
Last but certainly not least, we have the smaller and more affordable Ascher USB Rechargeable Bike Light Set. With a 650mAh battery that has been included, the light can last a couple of hours depending on which of the four included modes you use. It is also really easy to install with silicone mount straps that will only take a couple of minutes.
While the light might only have a 120-lumen output, it should still be enough to help you navigate the terrain. It comes with a tail light that makes you visible and the IPX4 waterproof rating means you don’t need to worry about the elements. We love the wide-angle beam that actually improves your overall field of view.
While the light might not have all the specialized features that we have seen in some of the other mtb lights, it is really affordable. If you are in a budget crunch and you need something immediately, this will be the way to go.
We would recommend it as the ultimate budget option available on the market today.
- Really affordable
- IPX4 waterproof rating
- Easy to install
- 4 different modes
- Brightness is only 120-lumen
- ADVANCED DESIGN: USB rechargeable light, built in 650mAh rechargeable lithium battery for each light.
- FOUR LIGHT MODE OPTIONS: The Headlight and Taillight feature an one-touch switch with four different lighting modes depending on your preference. Include full brightness, half brightness, fast flashing and slow flashing.
- EASY INSTALLATION: The silicone mount straps are designed with two openings that tightly fit around many size seat posts, handlebars, seat risers, backpacks, helmets and stretch to keep lights secure and firm. They can be easily loosen and fasten, and no tools are required.
- MUTIFUNCTION: This bike light set is versatile enough for cycling, hiking, camping, or any outdoor activity and can be used as emergency flashlight. This is great for cycling at night or in places where visibility and safety are concern. So, just start your next adventure with us.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: We are committed to providing our customers with high quality products, we are dedicated to ensuring your fully satisfaction. Please email us when you have any problem, we will solve the problem for you as soon as possible.
What To Look For When Buying Mountain Bike Lights
If you are still a little unsure of which light to choose, this guide will definitely before you. We have done a lot of research to understand some of the key features. If you want to buy a mountain bike light, you should consider using these features as your buyer’s guide to ensure you actually get some great value for your money:
The brightness factor is an important one to consider and you always want to have a light that is as bright as possible. The average lumens we expect to find for good night lights are in the range of 300-500 lumens. More than this can be a waste of money and you will only need them in situations with extreme darkness.
However, the brighter your light, the more functionality you also have. Bright light means you can take on more terrains and it generally comes with a wider beam. The wider your beam is, the better field of view you have to work with.
While you might think of the light as just a simple light that can light up your way, these lights are used for so much more. If you don’t need the brightest setting, having something a little lower can help you preserve the battery. Additionally, the flashing modes are perfect to use during the day and should ensure that you are always noticed.
No one ever wants to be caught off guard and stranded somewhere because the battery has died. It is important to understand the lifetime of your battery and to work accordingly. You need to look at the chargers as well and as you might have noticed, we prefer the USB chargers for the ability to keep you powered up as you go.
Lastly, you should consider the installation process and find out if it is easy for you to install. If the light is tough to install, it can be frustrating without the right tools. However, most modern brands try to add brackets that simply clip onto your bike. We definitely recommend choosing one of these to ensure comfort.
No matter the reason for your lighting needs, it is always important to have one. They can not only assist you during the day but will work at night as well.
The BLITZU Gator 390 USB Rechargeable LED Bike Light Set, Bicycle Headlight Front & Free Rear Back Tail Light. Waterproof, Easy to Install for Kids Men Women Road Cycling Safety Commuter Flashlight Black is a complete set with a tail light and definitely has all of the above-mentioned features included.
We have chosen it as our number one pick. Now, you should let us know which light is the best for your mountain biking ventures. We would love to read some of your comments and any other suggestions we might have missed.