TL;DR – In a hurry and just want to know what are the best mountain bike sunglasses? I recommend the Oakley Men's OO9188 Flak 2.0 XL Rectangular Sunglasses, Polished Black/Black Iridium Polarized, 59 mm as your best option. The five best MTB sunglasses available are (in my opinion):
- Oakley Men's OO9188 Flak 2.0 XL Rectangular Sunglasses, Polished Black/Black Iridium Polarized, 59 mm (Top Pick)
- Bolle B-Rock Sunglasses Matte Khaki, Smoke (Best Action Sports Glasses)
- AEROSPEED Black / Red / Red REACTIV 1-3 Light Amplifier (Best For Gravel Protection)
- Oakley Men's Radar OO9211-07 Shield Sunglasses (Editor’s Choice)
- Polarized Sports Sunglasses for Men Women Cycling Running Driving Fishing Golf Baseball Motorcycle Glasses (Matte Black) (Best Budget Sunglasses)
Have you ever planned a mountain bike trip, only to find yourself staring directly into the sun and having to deal with all the glare and frustration of working against the sun to accomplish your goals? If that is the case, you need quality sunglasses to get you through some of these uncomfortable moments.
Mountain biking is a sport that requires a lot of attention to detail and this is not only related to your bike, but also some of the many equipment accessories that are carried along. A good pair of sunglasses can help reduce the glare from the sun, but also offer some protection from gravel popping into your face. In this article, we take a deeper look at some of the top rated MTB sunglasses that are available on the market today. It is no secret that when looking for sunglasses, it is hard to pinpoint what is the actual best and many top brands have similar features.
However, this article should shed some light on the important features and the best sunglasses.
Round-Up Of The Top Rated Mountain Bike Sunglasses
Optic features can be daunting for someone with limited experience and one of the biggest selling points for many of these manufacturers is definitely based on aesthetics and brand reputation.
However, we have done some in-depth research to find some of the elite mountain bike sunglasses that are even used by the professionals:
Oakley Flak 2.0 Xl OO9188 Sunglasses – Top Pick
The word Oakley is synonymous with top quality sunglasses and they have built a good reputation for quality. The Oakley Flak 2.0 Xl OO9188 Sunglasses are some of the best that we could find they come with a semi-rimless design that will definitely add to the aesthetic appeal that the name Oakley already does on its own. Constructed with a durable plastic O-Frame, the sunglasses are capable of taking a beating from nature and features a large size that will fit most people.
Since it is lightweight, the glasses can actually be worn for an entire day and they won’t bog you down. With polarized iridium or PRIZM technology added depending on your needs, the glasses actually offer you 100% UV protection. While the glasses are constantly being improved by Oakley, they do have a slim fit and might not be ideal for every sporting occasion. The upside is that they will actually stick to your face and you won’t need to worry about them falling from your face.
This makes them perfect for all action sports, including mountain biking. Oakley is one of the more expensive brands and this could potentially dissuade many buyers. However, the design of these glasses are durable and many people swear by Oakley optics when it comes to the best.
We would highly recommend them if you have the funds and they should last you a couple of years as well.
- Excellent durability
- Lightweight with an ergonomic fit
- Available in multiple colors
- 100% UV protection
- Reasonably priced
- The sizing does run a little small
- Oakley's Plutonite Lenses offer top UV Protection filtering 100% of all UVA, UVB, UVC and harmful blue light up to 400mm. Oakley’s lightweight Plutonite lens material offers superior comfort, clarity and protection against impact and ultraviolet radiation.
- Patented High Definition Optics (HDO) provides superior optical clarity and razor-sharp vision at every angle.
- O Matter stress-resistant frame is lightweight & durable for all-day comfort & protection. Oakley’s injection molded thermoplastic O-Matter frame provides improved strength & flexibility over traditional acetate & is built to withstand shifting or deforming over time.
- Unobtanium earsocks and nose pads for increased comfort and performance. Pads increase grip with perspiration to help provide a secure and custom fit.
- Multiple Frame and Lens Colors: Choose from multiple colors of frames—including black and steel —and lenses—including non-polarized and polarized Prizm options, to enhance color, contrast, and detail for an optimized experience.
Bolle B-Rock Sunglasses – Best Action Sports Glasses
Upon first inspection, you might be tempted to think that these glasses have been designed for skiers. However, the Bolle B-Rock Sunglasses does not only look durable, but they are durable with full frame construction. The full frame will add more strength to the lenses for when you need to constantly deal with gravel popping up.
For the glasses themselves, you will notice that they offer a lot of protection to the rider and this includes padding on the inside that will cover your brow. It not only makes it more comfortable but reduces some of the sweat that could buildup on your forehead. The active design also means more comfort and the glasses won’t fall off as easily.
Another one of the top features is that these glasses can actually be used in all conditions. Since they will reduce the amount of fog that will build up, you won’t need to constantly stop to clean them. They won’t reflect either, making them ideal for when riding in a group situation, while the hydrophobic coating will keep them clean.
Unfortunately, all of this technology does come at a price and you will need to understand that these glasses are rather expensive. However, they are not only designed for mountain biking and is commonly used for many adventure sports.
We would recommend them for the versatility and some of the features that might outshine Oakley.
- Full frame durability
- Anti-reflective glass
- Hydrophobic coating
- Ergonomic fit
- Perfect for all action sports
- Matte Khaki frame
- Size: large
- B-clear tns lens
- Adjustable nosepiece and temples
- Hydrophobic-oleopobic treatement
Julbo Aerospeed Sunglasses – Best For Gravel Protection
If you are looking for something that looks unique, the Julbo Aerospeed Sunglasses will be an excellent option with its stylish design. Made with a polycarbonate plastic mold, these rimless glasses are designed to reduce the weight and emphasize some of the styles. The Spectron 3 design has also been tested to block out around 88% of all the visible light.
One of the top features is the added size of these glasses and they offer a little more coverage than most. This will not only help to reduce virtually all glare from the sun but keep your face and eyes protected from gravel that could be jumping up. Multiple vents have been integrated and this will help to prevent any fogging as well.
If you need a more comfortable fit, this set of sunglasses can easily be used to give you that custom fit that many people might be looking for. The nose pad is fully adjustable and meets most shapes of faces. The sizing might be something for you to get used to if you commonly use normal sunglasses that only work to protect your eyes.
As for the price, it is hard to imagine all of these top quality features packed into such an affordable price. These glasses look fantastic and they have exception features that will set them apart from the rest of the competition.
You should also keep in mind that you will be protected by a limited lifetime warranty.
- Stylish design
- Covers up most of your face
- No fog buildup
- Reasonably priced
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Might take some getting used to
- REACTIV Performance 1-3 LAF
- LENS: REACTIV Performance 1-3 Yellow Base Photochromic brown/yellow color lens view with multilayered red mirror finish. The REACTIV lens transitions between category 1 and category 3 lens. The category 3 lens, in bright sunlight, delivers 12% VLT blocking 88% of visible light.
- Includes: technical case and microfiber pouch
Oakley Men’s Radar OO9211-07 Shield Sunglasses – Editor’s Choice
Once again, we find ourselves staring into the Oakley brand and the Oakley Men’s Radar OO9211-07 Shield Sunglasses have been specifically designed for action sports. With another semi-rimless design, these sunglasses are extremely durable and even the lenses can take a beating without showing any scratches. Once again, you will have maximum protection for your eyes and according to eye professionals, the sunglasses can keep out 100% of UV rays. The Ruby PRIZM design should also make them appealing when looking at aesthetics.
Unfortunately, the same narrow fit problem might not suit all riders the same way. Oakley sunglasses are traditionally expensive, but as we have already mentioned, it is quite hard to actually match them when it comes to the overall quality.
These sunglasses will definitely help you look and feel more comfortable and we would highly recommend them. Oakley also includes a decent warranty for your protection.
- Durable and stylish
- Comfortable fit
- Blocks 100% of UV rays
- Decent warranty
- A little expensive
Polarized Sports Sunglasses – Best Budget Sunglasses
Last but certainly not least, we have to include a budget option for those strapped too tight financial situations. The Polarized Sports Sunglasses are constructed from shatterproof TAC materials and they hold up really well in sports. The different colors of the lenses also make them aesthetically appealing to modern fashion trends.
The UV400 lens block that has been integrated is capable of blocking out virtually all the UV rays from the sun, while the large design of the glasses should also give you a little more comfort and protection from gravel shooting in your face. An anti-slip nose pad has been added to keep them from sliding off when you have sweat buildup.
As for the price, these are considered the ideal budget option for the sports enthusiast, especially for action sports. They are fully adjustable and even though the glasses have a narrow fit, they still feel extremely comfortable.
Polarized has also included a limited lifetime warranty that will ensure you are fully protected from defects.
- Really durable TAC design
- Really affordable
- Blocks 100% of UV rays
- Anti-slip nose pad
- Limited lifetime warranty
- The fit is a little slim
- ❤【HIGH-QUALITY TAC MATERIAL】- All Lens are made of high-quality shatterproof TAC material that is durable enough for prolonged wearing.Lightweight PC frame design is ideal for any outdoor activities, scratch resistant and unbreakable. Rich colors of the lenses combine fashion with sports and is suitable for men and women.
- 🌞【REVO COLORFUL HD POLARIZED 100% UV400 LENS 】- UV400 lens block 100% harmful UVA & UVB Rays. REVO colorful HD Polarized lens restore true color, with high-density Revo coating, keeping the original color, improving visual clarity and contrast effectively. Easier eliminating reflected and scattered light, making the scenery more clear and soft. It can protect eyes perfectly.
- 😎【SOFT ANTI-SLIP RUBBER NOSE PAD 】- Soft and Anti-slip rubber nose pad to avoid sunglasses dropping down while sweating and fit well on the face. Make your nose feel comfortable while wearing these polarized sports sunglasses for cycling running fishing golf and many sports.
- 🏄【LIFETIME BREAKAGE WARRANTY ON FRAME & LENS】- Frames and lens are unbreakable for no risk purchasing. In case any broken problem happens, contact the seller of Bea Cool without hesitation to solve the problem until satisfaction. Bea Cool provides lifetime after-sale service for all products.
- 🎁 【EXQUISITE PACKING】- You will get a pair of Bea CooL Sunglasses and extra gifts below：a hard and exquisite protective case, cleaning cloth and pouch and Sunglasses screwdriver.Fashion and styling sunglasses, Perfect gift for sport and outdoor activities lovers.
Key Features To Consider When Choosing Sunglasses For Mountain Biking
As we have done a ton of research to pinpoint which of the options are the best, we have decided to share some of the key features with you. These features might not relate to all sunglasses, but more specifically for action sports.
If you are looking for a new pair of sunglasses to go mountain biking with, we would definitely suggest that you keep the following features in mind:
For a mountain bike rider riding against the sun, the lens contrast is one of the most important things to keep in mind. The better contrast you have with your lenses, the clearer, you will be able to see the road and all the obstacles in your way. High-contrast lenses might be a little more expensive, but they offer greater detail of what lies ahead.
The glasses definitely need to have a comfortable fit and this is why brands are designing them to be ergonomic. This means they comfortably fit around your face without having to constantly be readjusted. Unfortunately, you need to look at the size of the glasses as well and we have had instances of the glasses being a little too small for most people.
Gravel and other dirt might be a barrier to your success and when you are riding in terrains that offer a lot of gravel, you might want to invest in glasses that offer more coverage. The larger area covered, the less time you need to spend dodging gravel. When looking for the mountain bike sunglasses, we always believe that bigger could be better.
Once you have done all the comfort and protection feature research, the look is just as important. No one wants glasses that look cheap and old-fashioned. It is important to find the right look that not only fits your face but your style as well (check out this article for a general guide on which style of glasses fit which face shape). Fortunately, most brands have designed the glasses to look great and feel great at the same time.
Since these sunglasses can be a little expensive, you need to look for a decent warranty that will keep you protected. You might have noticed that sunglasses are easily reproduced and sold as the real thing. However, they won’t come with a warranty. Choosing a reputable supplier with a reputable brand is really important to ensure you get what you paid for.
Now that you have seen all the important features and many of the best rated mountain bike sunglasses, we hope that you have found a set that will work for you. Oakley stands out as one of the leading brands and they have been an industry professional for years now. All of the Oakley sunglasses in this list should make a difference to your mountain bike experience.
We would like to thank you for reading this article and encourage you to share some of your thoughts. It is no secret that there are many other mountain bike sunglasses and brands on the market today and we would love to see which of them you favor. Be sure to let us know in the comment section and share this article with some of your action sports friends.